February 20, 2017
Save Thousands on Hotel Bookings with this Credit Card
Straight to the Point
The Citi Prestige can save you thousands of dollars a year through its biggest perk-When you book four consecutive nights, you get one night free!
Air Travel Credit
The card comes with an annual $250 air travel credit. This applies to pretty much any airline related expense, including airplane tickets, bag fees, and upgrade fees. The sizeable annual credit goes a long way towards making the card more affordable as the annual fee is $450. Since I know I’ll be getting that travel credit every year, that drops the price of this card down to $200 in my mind. Note that the time frame for the $250 credit resets every December, not every calendar year. For example, if you were to get the credit applied in March 2017, you’d be eligible for your next ‘annual’ credit after December 2017.
Fourth Night Free
This is the main benefit of the Citi Prestige card. You can call the Citi Prestige Concierge and have them book four consecutive nights at a hotel for you. The 4th night will be free! There are a couple caveats to this. Citi will calculate the average daily rate of your room stay and credit that amount towards your statement balance, and the benefit excludes hotel taxes.
There’s no limit to the number of stays you can use this for and there’s also no dollar cap to this benefit. For example, if you book four nights at a hotel costing $1,000 a night, you get a $1,000 statement credit. If you book three trips a year, each lasting four days with an average daily hotel rate of $250, you’d get $750 worth of travel credits. That’s a huge benefit! It’s also worth noting that you still earn stay credits and points through the hotel for your booking.
- Earn 40,000 Citi ThankYou Points after making $4,000 in purchases within the first three months of account opening.
- Earn 3X points per $1 spent on Air Travel & Hotels.
- Earn 2X points per $1 spent on Dining & Entertainment.
- Earn 1X point per $1 on everything else.
- No foreign transaction fees
- Complimentary Priority Pass select membership gets you access to hundreds of airline lounges around the world.
- $100 Global Entry application fee credit. Pay for the Global Entry application with your Citi Prestige card and you’ll get a $100 statement credit.
- There’s several other travel protections and travel insurance coverages that come with this card like Trip Cancellation and Trip Protection coverage. You can find the full details here.
You can redeem points for flights on any airline when you book through the Citi ThankYou Travel Center. To get even more value, you can transfer your points to 11 airline partners and Hilton Honors! Points transfer to Hilton Honors at a 1:1.5 ratio and to the following airline partners at a 1:1 ratio:
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
- JetBlue TrueBlue
- Asia Miles
- Etihad Guest
- Eva Air
- Flying Blue
- Garuda Indonesia
- Malaysia Airlines
- Qatar Privilege Club
- Singapore KrisFlyer
- Thai Royal Orchid
- $450 per year
This card is a great option if you take multiple four-day trips per year. To me, the relevant numbers are the $450 annual fee and the $250 annual airfare credit. Your out of pocket cost for this card is really $200 per year. So if you can get more than $200 in value per year by booking hotel stays of 4+ consecutive nights, you should come out ahead with this card. I don’t find perks like Priority Pass Select and the Global Entry credit to be as valuable because there are several premium travel cards that also offer those benefits.