January 10, 2018
Status Challenge: Shortcut to SPG and Marriott Gold & Platinum Status
Starwood offered a great shortcut to Gold and Platinum elite status in 2017. Travelers who never had SPG elite status could register for the challenge and qualify for Gold status after just 9 nights and Platinum status after just 18 nights. That’s a huge shortcut considering Gold normally requires 25 nights and Platinum normally requires 50 nights. Starwood has extended this challenge through June 30, 2018. Here’s how it breaks down:
There’s a number of important details to be aware of.
- You must not have held SPG Gold or Platinum status in the last five years and you must not have previously completed a status challenge.
- The SPG Personal and Business credit cards each give members 5 night credits a year. These credits will not count towards the challenge.
- Award nights (this is when you use points for a free hotel stay) normally count towards elite status. These won’t count towards the challenge. Only paid nights will count.
- If you complete the challenge in February or earlier, your status will be valid through February 2019. If you complete the challenge in March or later, your status will be valid through February 2020.
- You need to call Starwood Customer Service by June 30, 2018 to register.
- You can choose between three qualifying periods to complete the status challenge. These are January 1-March 31, 2018, February 28-April 30, 2018, and March 31-May 31, 2018.
The best way to do this is to complete the challenge after March 2018. That will get you elite status all the way to 2020, which is a very generous offer. Once you earn Starwood status, remember to match it to Marriott elite status. Customers have been able to match their status across both loyalty programs since the companies merged over a year ago.
H/T: Loyalty Lobby
Hotel Images Courtesy of Westin Dubai Al Habtoor City